GLW.20.05: ERIK KRISTJANSON
GLW.20.06: Marisa Plaice
GLW.20.07: Russell Abdo
GLW.20.08: Garrett Bukunt
GLW.20.09: Megan Swidler
GLW.20.10: Garrett Tillman
GLW.20.11: Scott Lawson
GLW.20.12: Carl Anderson
If there was ever a year we needed music, 2020 was it. Here's 20 songs I connected with:
1. Christine and the Queens - “People, I've been sad”
I had a hard time picking just one song above the rest this year, but damn it was a sad year, so this is it.
2. Waxahatchee - “Fire”
Great song on an album full of great songs.
3. Perfume Genius - “On the Floor”
He's a musical genius, too.
4. Phoebe Bridgers - “I Know the End”
It really did feel like the end at some points this year. This builds so beautifully to an epic end, such is life?
5. Adrianne Lenker - “anything”
Her voice and a simple guitar is all it takes to be incredibly moved.
6. Angel Olsen - “Whole New Mess”
This is about much more, but to me it was about the end of every day in a house full of two grown adults and a food-throwing baby living at home 100% of the time.
7. Thundercat - “Dragonball Durag”
So smooth, this guy is the essence of cool.
8. HAIM - “I Know Alone”
When I was an impressionable 5th or 6th grader in Atlanta, there was an R&B song called “My Boo” by Ghost Town DJs (maybe?). This song has that sound and it works for me.
9. Fiona Apple - “I Want You to Love Me”
Intense and emotional, like the album. No one's going to accuse Fiona Apple of making easy listeners.
10. Run The Jewels - “walking in the snow”
An album for the times, Killer Mike's verse on this song gives me chills.
11. Fleet Foxes - “Young Man's Game”
If life is indeed a young man's game, what does that mean for us guys getting older?
12. Caribou - “Ravi”
I loved this whole album but this was the real earworm for me. Earworm of the Year.
13. Busta Rhymes - “Look Over Your Shoulder”
Kendrick kills his guest verse and Busta in his fast-rapping form, this is gold.
14. Freddie Gibbs - “Scottie Beam”
Gibbs' raps over these lovely beats work so well. Rick Ross showed up too.
15. Little Dragon - “Are You Feeling Sad?”
Yes, I'm feeling sad. But this song makes me feel a bit better.
16. Fontaines D.C. - “A Hero's Death”
This song is somehow depressing and uplifting at the same time. They were the last live show I saw - I miss live shows! :(
17. Leon Bridges - “Sweeter”
I'm hoping for a life more sweeter for you too, Leon.
18. Ricky Reed - “Real Magic”
This is that old school R&B sounding stuff, guess I had a soft spot for nostalgia this year.
19. Tame Impala - “Lost in Yesterday”
While the album didn't hit for me like their previous work, I still dig the sonic sounds of this one.
20. Disclosure - “Ce n'est pas”
Danced with the baby around the house a lot to this. We all needed that in 2020.