Kicking off Week Two, it's Gina Uriarte! Check out Gina's 2013 list here, or keep reading for the 2014 magic.
I wasn't going to do a guest list this year for a few reasons:
1) I'm still stuck in 2013 and "Rage" remains at the top of my heavy rotation playlist
2) Before even putting pen to paper (or, actually, fingers to keyboard), I was worried that my list would basically just be Taylor Swift's 1989, but with the songs in a different order than they actually appear on the album.
3) It's really hard to rank favorite songs. Even just five or ten. I can't imagine the poor soul who would try to come up with 100 - though I do admire the effort greatly.
Then I found myself car dancing to Walk the Moon's "Shut Up and Dance" on my commute home tonight and I realized that there was more to 2014 than Taylor Swift.
So here are, in no particular order, 25 songs that I loved this year almost as much as "Blank Space."
- "Shut Up and Dance" by Walk the Moon
- "I Won't Let You Down" by Ok Go (let's be honest, this is as much for the video as it is the track)
- "Dead Air" by CHVRCHES (preaching to the choir with this one, pun intended)
- "Stolen Dance" by Milky Chance
- "Don't Tell" by Mansions on the Moon
- "Go Slow" by Lenachka
- "Dreamers" (Dan Dan Noodle remix) by Scavenger Hunt (I could have used the original but how do you not type "Dan Dan Noodle" when you have the option?)
- "Young Hearts" by Strange Talk (or substitute this with pretty much any song on the Cast Away album, I love them all equally)
- "Seasons (Waiting on You)" by Future Islands
- "Calling Out" by Penguin Prison
- "You're Still a Mystery" by Bleachers (because there's more to this awesome album than just "I Wanna Get Better" and "Rollercoaster") (just kidding, I take it back, use "I Wanna Get Better.") (No, actually use "Roallercoaster")
- "Left Hand Free" by alt-J
- "Free & Lonely" by X Ambassadors
- "Riptide" by Vance Joy
- "Break the Rules" by Charli XCX
- "Bad Habit" by The Kooks
- "Rocking Chair" by The Districts
- "Cardiac Arrest" by Bad Suns
- "Thousand Miles" by Tove Lo
- "Coattails" by Broods
- "Waves" by Magic Man
- "All of the People" by Panama Wedding
- "Play the Fool" by Chromeo
- "Where the Kids Are" by Blondfire
- "Kiss and Not Tell" by La Roux
Honorable mention that should have been on my 2013 list but I didn't discover them until Outside Lands this year - "You & Me" by Flume
Post a Comment