To accompany this list of 2023 releases that made my hips swivel and chest jiggle (on the privacy of the at-home dance floor that is my living room carpet, mind you), a list of little appreciations from days and nights out this year.
* staying put where you’re enjoying yourself
* a mass of people moving as a unit
* tights with pockets
* helping your city celebrate Pride
* the refreshing contrast of a well-programmed second room
* an opening set inviting you to make the most of an sparse dancefloor
* friends who talk you up to your crushes
* cutting your losses when things aren’t clicking
* feeling limber and loose
* welcoming friends from out of town to your home turf
* a track ID affirming your belief in your taste
* gentle rejections; sincere apologies; enthusiastic consent; displays of grace
* unlocking a new addition to your movement vocabulary
* postponing conversations to the end of a set
* younger me having the good sense to stock up on Bikes
* a meet-cute in the night’s waning hours
* socks, spoons, and skirts that double as conversation starters
It feels appropriate, as well, to thank the dozens of folks who helped me feel at home in these spaces and have helped make going out a powerful vector for self-discovery, (self-)compassion, and connection.
To seeing them, and many of you, on a dancefloor in 2024.